David Smith's Rock and Roll Playground

Friday, May 04, 2007


So I saw a couple of things yesterday that give me hope for when I'm old.

1. An old man in a wheelchair asked me and Dave to help him into his car using his motorized lift. He had two things that I admired, First he was a very pleasant man despite having some challenges in his life, and Second, he had a sweet motorized lift.


2. While at Target I caught a grandma whipping a shopping cart with her grandson (or at least hope it's his grandson, I guess she could have just kidnapped that kid.) in it around a corner while making a racing noises and screeching tires, only to run down the next Aisle. Man, I want to marry someone like that!

3. I Saw an old woman crossing the street in a crowd. the situation was very much like in a movie or on TV where a boy scout should help her cross;in fact, me and Justin, my room mate almost got out and helped her across after the 14 year old failed to help her cross and complete the perfect movie moment, however, she got across successfully. Way to go granny!
4. At Costco Dave and I stopped in to get what is affectionately called, "Trashy Lunch." When we sat down with our pizza, a group of 6 old men 60 or greater converged of the condiments bar with their hot dogs, and polish sausages to get their fixin's, First, it was a sight to be seen, plaid shirts and blue jeans as far as the eye could see. Second, it reminded me of my dad and how introduced to the polish sausage as a child in a Costco store. Third, I think Costco is only place where upper middle class people of all ages enjoy a hot dog on a regular basis.


5. Finally, I went over to a friends house to watch the office last night (wasn't the best episode but, good none the less). when we got their her grandparents were watching the Utah jazz play the Houston rockets in game six of their playoff series. Her Grandma had to fill me in on the playoffs; it was humbling and inspiring. Once again, I would like to marry a girl like that.


I thought this was a pretty good day for all old people, and some of us young one who knew where to look.

4 Comments:

Blogger meredith said...

I really enjoyed this. I have always loved the elderly and that is why I chose my profession. And pretty much the only reason that kept me going in my major.

4:36 PM  
Blogger ashley said...

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of old people, but I definitely don't look forward to that stage in life. Your post has given me new hope.

Also, I love that you and Meredith are friends! Did you know Meredith and I lived together in London a few summers ago?

5:51 PM  
Blogger austinmcraig said...

I have mixed feelings on the elderly, it depends on the individual. Actually, I guess that could be said of any demographic. I guess thats how we're supposed to deal with people, on a person to person basis.

There is no point to this comment, but I've typed it and now I'm posting. I'm sorry.

12:09 AM  
Blogger D Smith said...

Meredeth- I noticed you often respond to peoples comments like this. so, I copied you. I'm glad you enjoyed the post and that enjoy old people

Ashley- It's good to get some new commenting blood on this blog, I really appreciate it. tell all your friend and enemies

Austin- Yes what you wrote didn't have a point but thanks anyway.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home