David Smith's Rock and Roll Playground

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Horrible thing that happened at VT, I don't know anyone who was killed but I'm sure my friends do, I hope things improve there quickly. Well, its been a while since I've really posted something because new blogger confused who I was and now I can no longer have my old name back. so without further Adu I've got two observations about BYU.

First, Me and My friend were talking and decided the Single population here at BYU is just a huge economic problem. There is definitely enough supply (most single students whether they like to admit it or not would be happy to settle down with the right person) and Demand is represented by those that are in search of a spouse. Now in a perfect free market system the market would naturally settle into equilibrium where supply meets demand, all those that are looking for a spouse would be able to find one...within reason. The resources (marriage canadates) would be allocated in the most efficient means possible. This would result in a lot more people getting married.

Since we have had this conversation I've had a hard time understanding why this doesn't happen, there are plenty of attractive, worthy girls and guys that would be willing to marry if the right person came along, but they don't. Why Don't they? I would guess a contributing factor would be parties like "rock the block," I like to dance, and a don't mind large crowds, I also appreciate people getting together for a cause, but at parties like that you can scarsely dance without being molested. Yet, the same people who say they are against being felt up flock to these dances, I don't understand it. If rock the block is the BYU has to offer on allocating single people, it's no wonder we have a problem.

Second, last year I realized that among guys there are different levels of Dress and, a that time I thought I was just 4 group but since I have created a 5th group which is inserted as group #3, and almost all the guys here at BYU fit into one of these groups.

Group 1
These are mostly the rich kids, essentially they always have the "newest fashions". These are the people that walk into buckle and buy whats on the manequein and whatever the cute sales associate says is hot.

Group 2
This is your basic t-shirt and jeans guys. They look respectable but they're not over the top. An Important distinction between these guys and the 1's and 4's is that they make their own fashion decisions and buy their own clothes. This group makes up the majority of BYU Students. The 2's will dress a little more up or down as the occasion permits, but for most ocassion t-shirts and jeans will do.

Group 3
This is filled with people who dress the part. Indie kids, Metro guys, Midevil Club kids, etc. these people spend A lot of time and effort on looking right for the personality that they aspire to have. the kings among this group it the one who are willing to sacrifice the most time and money for their constume.

Group 4
Threes wear a lot of plaid, button down, collar shirts. These guys don't buy their own clothes or make their own decisions, they have the most influential girl in there life makes that decision for them, this normally means that their mom buys their clothes for the beginning part of their life, soon to be replaced in the intermediate by a sister or a girlfriend, and finally there wives take on the that role. these are the guys who are of the mindset "If it fits me i don't care." and figure as ong as a girl picks it out it must look nice.

Group 5
The Five's are pure utility. when I first noticed them they have It was a pair of kahki shorts that were a touch too short, tube socks some new balanced that you would see your dad wearing and whatever poorly fitting shirt was is there clothes basket. these shirts seemed from a few different genres Star Wars, LotR or video games, family vacation spots, or free from something they attended like EFY, or the engineering major. Also, in this group is the guys who frequent the basketball shorts and sports high school sports shirts. Occasionally after marriage, a 5 can graduate into a 4 through the efforts of a kind hearted wife.

While these are pretty good categories I understand that there could be some overlap and/or exceptions to the rule. If you got to this far in this blog you should get a prize because this has been a long complicated post. leave a comment and I will se that you get your prize.

5 Comments:

Blogger Landon said...

Which number am I again? I think I am a blend, we decided.

9:27 AM  
Blogger D Smith said...

I think you're between a Two and a Four

9:50 AM  
Blogger meredith said...

Its prize enough to know you thought this through thoroughly. (enjoy that alliteration)
I have a similar theory but it only involves shoes. Not as intense.

I also have theories on the dating situation in Provo. I live to understand people. My friend and I are writing a book called Dating on the Wasatch Front. Look for it in Deseret Book.

1:41 PM  
Blogger D Smith said...

Merideth recently I noticed that I judge people subconsciously by their shoes, it was a sad realization, I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your news letter.

3:45 PM  
Blogger austinmcraig said...

You can actually do that Dave. Click on the RSS Icon next to Meredith's blog's URL when you are there. You are now literally subscribed, and will be updated whenever she writes. w00t!

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home