David Smith's Rock and Roll Playground

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Schools out. Time for some R and R and R.


School is over, and also the extent to which I've planned my immediate life has ended. As I look back at the things and the things I've written in the last year or so feel like they are left wanting. I used to be a pretty good writer, and I know this because my mom told me to so, however, I haven't been proud of much of anything I've written in past six months or so.

Since I was a small child I've had a constant struggle with reading, Not with the act of reading, but just sitting down with a good book. I know the benefits of reading are plenty, the least of which is hob nobbing with the book worms and talking about who your favorite author is. I've been thinking about starting some leasurely reading, and everyone I talk to, and several people I respect have giving reading as advice lately.

As a child I ran for fun, as a teenager I ran out of obligation, now I'm out of shape.

Among others things running around in my head is my physical health. This is the first time in my life when I have had no physical activity to keep up my metabolism, as a result my body has not learned to eat less yet, leading to me getting shapely in an undesirable way. I've tried to control my diet, however today I ate an entire Little Caesars pizza in one sitting.

I know you guys are waiting for a punch line, so without further adu my summer will be filled with the three R's Reading Writing and Running.

Reading: Since I'm not a reader this is the one I'm going to struggle the most with, anyone that knows of a good easy read let me know.

Writing: Well hopefully, between this blog and my Journal I can recapture the writing skills my mother was once proud of.

Running: I'm playing intramural soccer, I'm going to start going to play basketball every now and again. and hopefully doing much hiking this summer, in addition I may start throwing some weights around to help mitigate the fatness.

If anyone else wants in on the SummeRRR to RRRemembeRRR let me know and we can start a support group.

3 Comments:

Blogger meredith said...

i will run. i am in my best shape in austin. i will read. i have the most time in austin because i have very few friends. and i will write because i will be KITing with as many people as possible to help me remember that I once had friends.

The alchemist is a good book.
If you like historical fiction The Killer Angels I hear is AMAZING. I have recommended that one a couple of times and been thanked twice that. I haven't even read it. The autobiography of malcolm x is also a favorite.

2:28 PM  
Blogger austinmcraig said...

My name is austin. D, count me in that support group. I need it. I'm not exactly fat right now, but is a poor indicator of health, and I'm out of shape. And while I love reading, it seems to be mostly blogs these days. Anyway, all good ideas, lets do it.

11:53 PM  
Blogger sara said...

this summer is the summer of good books and good looks.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home