David Smith's Rock and Roll Playground

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Music has a great affect on my life, It can move to me tears, can pump me up or make me nostalgic.

Today I realized context is an important factor in how I feel about particular songs. A few examples.

Example 1 When I'm walking to campus the song that gets me going is "Annie Waits" by Ben Folds, It's a perfect walking rhythm for me and it is the perfect length for a walk from Basecamp to JFSB, in addition more than any other song it make a perfect music video out of the people pass on the way to class. On the way back from class, when I'm sick of school, Beck's "E-Pro" is terrific, its a bit slower rhythm, for when I'm little tired, and it makes me feel like I'm a main character in a blockbuster heist movie.

Example 2 Classical Music, My dad recently exposed me to his vast collection of classical music and since I've been on kinda a kick. I've been listening to a lot of Bach, Mozart and recently my favorite song lately has been Die Moldau By Smetana its twelve minutes of building joy, it makes you feel like you're flying over some Eastern European dream scape. Classical music makes me noticeably happier every time I listen to it, and when I see people with forlorn faces I want them to hear the music I'm listening to and cheer up.

Example 3 On road trips I like to listen to Postal Service, something about Ben Gibbard, and well placed electronic beats, make the landscapes come alive on the long stretches of western highway, Also, recently I've made an effort to play "Over the Rainbow" Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, when I'm leaving a particularly memorable occasion, to really burn those memories into my mind.

Example 4 Back to classical for a moment, Bach's "Jesu Joy Men's Desiring" is probably my favorite piece of music of all time, however, in the right context can sound more like nails on a chalkboard. The reason I know this is because the guy sitting behind me while I was studying stats today decided to do his own personal version by whistling. In this same thread, the song "Just What I Needed" by the cars was near and dear to my heart until the ad firm for Circuit City got their hands on it.

Like all my blogs this list is not exhaustive and always growing as I observe the world, I just thought I'd get that out there before I finish studying for finals.

3 Comments:

Blogger meredith said...

i abused my assignment... maybe you should take that off so i don't have to feel so guilty and selfish.

12:11 AM  
Blogger D Smith said...

better?

7:47 AM  
Blogger meredith said...

much.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home